Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Inspiration

Photo by Angela Jimenez from her show, "Racing Age".
The distinguished-looking, chin-bearded hombre just finished second in the 100m dash, over age 95 class, at the 2007 World Masters Championships. I first saw his picture three weeks ago. I can't say the inspiration was instantaneous, but it quickly grew on me: in another thirty years or so, I'd like to be in his place, or maybe even one better.

My only brush with competitive athletics was during sophomore year in high school over fifty years ago. I didn't last long. Coach recruited me and I was flattered, but didn't like running until I puked. I loved dashing around, though, like quick bursts of flight.

Now retired and almost 68, I've learned to enjoy feeling the exhaustion and the burn. I work out most days at the local gym, a quick walk from our apartment, but have begun wanting more out of it than just keeping in decent shape. This goal tightens the focus. That it is so long-term not only inspires me to take time and do it right, but acknowledges and encourages the optimistic longevity aspect. 

Plus, I've always thought of myself as kind of a late bloomer.

Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment