Friday, August 22, 2014

Too much, too soon

Despite Matt's admonition to decrease the time of my Power Walk by no more than 5% each repetition, I pushed myself too much last Monday, and, with intermittent running, loped nearly 20% off the previous effort. An occasional twinge behind my left knee morphed into a sore kneecap by the time I hit the track. I had told myself I would take it easy, but now, four days later I'm still feeling a little pain.
Hip adductor stretch--Yeah, Baby!

This will not stand.

Rather than Power Walk today, I've begun a regular routine to strengthen and stretch the muscles around that crucial knee hinge--glutes, hamstrings, abs and hip adductors. An hour googling and youtubing has yielded a one page summary of five exercises I'm adding to my daily warmup. As long as I feel the pain, I'll also adopt a less rigorous walk.

Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment