Sunday, August 17, 2014

Warm Up!

Matt, my trusty trainer, has instilled in me the importance of self-preservation when I exercise. I don't have a good history with that. Whether it was gym workouts or yoga, there were long periods of down time as I recovered from some self-inflicted sprain or strain. Working toward my Senior Games goal has to be different, I tell myself. At my age, especially, I can't just go balls to the wall or I'll be sidelined for months.

Dynamic forward lunge
So, before my first run on the track I googled, "sprint workout", watched repeatedly and took notes on several of the many YouTubes that turned up. Lunges, particularly, are recommended, as well as those hamstring and calf stretches you always see joggers doing.

My first trial at the track was pretty good, better than expected. I was winded, but felt strong. Then--oh, hubris!--I overdid it.  You always see sprinters with impressive thighs, so I figured I'd do leg presses on the weight machines at the gym. I pushed myself there too far and too fast. I also went overboard on the lunges.

A couple of days later, warming up for my second trial at the track, I felt a groin pull that didn't bode well. I cancelled the sprint, figuring I'd get back in shape with some light gym work--not light enough. Hamstring problems followed, and I backed off a little more, limiting my exercise to walking.

Within a week, both legs felt pretty good. But by that time houseguests were at the airport, so another week of taking it easy turned out to be just what Matt would have ordered. I'm back on track now, trying to push myself just a little more each workout. After all, I've got time.

Onward.

2 comments:

  1. Tom-

    Clint Eastwood, as Dirty Harry once famously said "A man has to know his limitations", and he was correct on many levels.

    Training is much different than "working out" and good training has to be disciplined. For athletically minded folks, that often means doing less than the endorphin driven high of an exercise session often drives us to do. As we pass our physiological prime (18-28 years old), less becomes more with regards to high intensity training and incremental gains in the absence of injury becomes priority number one.

    I am very excited to be training for the Olympics Tom!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Matt. It's really good to know you're with me!

    ReplyDelete